C Programming Language By Dennis Ritchie
This article reviews the book “The C Programming Language” by Dennis Ritchie.
The article covers-
- Special features of book
- Analysis of Content
- Analysis of Exercises
- Necessary Instructions
Why Should Be Read?
Special Features of Book-
The special features of this book are-
- It is one of the best books available on this subject.
- It covers C language in great depth.
- It covers all the GATE topics in a detailed way.
- It has decent number of good quality exercise questions.
- Covering this book is a must for GATE preparation.
Analysis of Content-
The following table analyzes sections of the book that are relevant for GATE-
|Chapter No.||GATE Relevant Sections||GATE Topics Covered|
|2||2.1 to 2.4||Variables & Data Types|
|2.5 to 2.12||Operators & Precedence Order|
|3||3.1 to 3.8||Control Flow|
|4||4.1 to 4.2||Functions|
|4.3, 4.6, 4.7||External, Static & Register Variables|
|5||All Sections||Pointers & Arrays|
|6||6.1 to 6.2||Basics of Structures|
|6.3||Arrays of Structures|
|6.4 to 6.5||Pointers & Structures|
|7||7.1 to 7.2||Standard & Formatted I/O|
Covering Only These Sections Is Enough
Analysis of Exercises-
The following table analyzes exercises of the book that are relevant for GATE-
|Chapter No.||Question No.|
|1||1.4, 1.15, 1.17, 1.19, 1.23, 1.24|
|2||2.1 to 2.10|
|3||3.4, 3.5, 3.6|
|4||4.1, 4.3, 4.8, 4.9, 4.12, 4.13|
|5||5.1 to 5.4, 5.8, 5.9, 5.10|
|6||6.1, 6.2, 6.4|
Practicing Only These Exercises Is Enough
Keep the following instructions in mind while reading the book-
- The book has nearly 300 pages.
- However, if you cover only GATE related topics, it comes down to 150 pages.
- This subject has a good weightage in GATE exam.
- The knowledge of this subject is required in solving some of the data structures and algorithms problems.
- The exercise questions of this book are quite good from practice point of view.
- Practice C programming questions from all the previous GATE papers.
- Mostly, questions in this subject come from the topic of arrays and pointers.
- Having a firm grip over arrays and pointers will ensure good marks in the exam.
- The textbook covers many more topics than those mentioned in the GATE syllabus.
- Reading the above described sections will ensure all the topics are covered.
- Overall, covering this book alone is more than enough for GATE preparation of this subject.
- You need not to refer anything else.
|THIS BOOK IS A MUST READ WHETHER
YOU ARE PREPARING FOR GATE EXAM OR NOT.
This book may appear a bit tough for beginner-level students.
Make sure you are familiar with the basics.
Other Recommended Books-
C Programming By K.N. King-