Database Management Systems By Raghu Ramakrishnan
This article reviews the book “Database Management Systems” by Raghu Ramakrishnan and Johannes Gehrke.
The article covers-
- Special features of book
- Analysis of Content
- Analysis of Exercises
- Necessary Instructions
Why Should Be Read?
Special Features of Book-
The special features of this book are-
- It is one of the most detailed books for this subject.
- It covers all the GATE topics.
- The topics of Transaction Management are covered in great depth especially.
- It deals with the content in a simple and crystal clear way which makes the subject beginner friendly.
- Its exercise questions are of high quality and at par with the level of questions asked in the GATE exam.
Analysis of Content-
The following table analyzes sections of the book that are relevant for GATE-
|Chapter No.||GATE Relevant Sections||GATE Topics Covered|
|1||All Sections||Overview (Optional Read)|
|2||2.1 to 2.5||Basics of ER Model|
|3||3.1 to 3.4||Relational Model|
|3.5||ER to Relational Model|
|5||5.1 to 5.6||SQL Queries|
|8||8.1 to 8.3||Indexing|
|16||16.1||Transactions and ACID Properties|
|16.3||Concurrent Execution and Lock-based Concurrency Control|
|17.2 to 17.6||Lock Management and Deadlocks|
|18||18.2||Crash Recovery and Check-pointing|
Covering Only These Sections Is Enough
Analysis of Exercises-
The following table analyzes exercises of the book that are relevant for GATE-
|Chapter No.||Question No.|
|2||2.2, 2.3, 2.4, 2.7, 2.8|
|3||3.2, 3.5, 3.7, 3.8, 3.9|
|4||4.2, 4.3, 4.4, 4.5|
|5||5.1 to 5.5, 5.7, 5.10|
|8||8.4, 8.7, 8.10, 8.11|
|16||16.2, 16.3, 16.5, 16.8, 16.9|
|17||17.2, 17.3, 17.4, 17.6, 17.7|
|19||19.2, 19.3, 19.5, 19.7, 19.8, 19.10, 19.12, 19.13, 19.18, 19.24, 19.26|
Practicing Only These Exercises Is Enough
Keep the following instructions in mind while reading the book-
- The book has nearly 1100 pages.
- Read only selective topics which are part of a GATE syllabus.
- Competitive exams mainly focus on numerical questions from this subject.
- So, practice all the questions mentioned in the Analysis of Exercises section.
- Theoretical questions may be asked but less frequently asked.
- So, keep making short notes while reading the book to solve theoretical questions.
- Focus on the topics of Normalization and Transaction Management.
- Questions from these topics are asked every year in the GATE exam.
- This textbook covers the entire GATE syllabus in a clear and detailed manner.
- The exercise questions provide good practice to solve GATE questions.
- Overall, this book is a good read while preparing this subject for GATE exam.
|THIS BOOK IS SELF-SUFFICIENT FOR GATE EXAM.|
Other Recommended Books-
Fundamentals of Database System By Navathe-
Database System Concepts By Abraham Silberschatz & Korth-