Various Times Related To Process-
Before you go through this article, make sure that you have gone through the previous article on Process States.
Various times related to process are-
- Arrival time
- Waiting time
- Response time
- Burst time
- Completion time
- Turn Around Time
1. Arrival Time-
- Arrival time is the point of time at which a process enters the ready queue.
2. Waiting Time-
- Waiting time is the amount of time spent by a process waiting in the ready queue for getting the CPU.
|Waiting time = Turn Around time – Burst time|
3. Response Time-
- Response time is the amount of time after which a process gets the CPU for the first time after entering the ready queue.
|Response Time = Time at which process first gets the CPU – Arrival time|
4. Burst Time-
- Burst time is the amount of time required by a process for executing on CPU.
- It is also called as execution time or running time.
- Burst time of a process can not be known in advance before executing the process.
- It can be known only after the process has executed.
5. Completion Time-
- Completion time is the point of time at which a process completes its execution on the CPU and takes exit from the system.
- It is also called as exit time.
6. Turn Around Time-
- Turn Around time is the total amount of time spent by a process in the system.
- When present in the system, a process is either waiting in the ready queue for getting the CPU or it is executing on the CPU.
|Turn Around time = Burst time + Waiting time|
|Turn Around time = Completion time – Arrival time|
While discussing the above definitions,
- We have considered that the process does not require an I/O operation.
- When process is present in the system, it will be either waiting for the CPU in the ready state or it will be executing on the CPU.
To gain better understanding about various times of process,
Next Article-FCFS Algorithm | CPU Scheduling
Get more notes and other study material of Operating System.
Watch video lectures by visiting our YouTube channel LearnVidFun.